This weekend our little family celebrated a big milestone: it's been exactly one year since we adopted a shy 12 week old terrier puppy. Who knew that just 365 days ago, our lives would be changed forever . . . and ALL for the better!
When Paisley came into our lives last August, I definitely wasn't prepared for the constant needs of a growing puppy. So in those first few weeks, I had several emotional breakdowns (probably coaxed along by a severe lack of sleep due to a crying puppy) and at one particularly low point, we even considered giving her back to the rescue group.
I guess I should mention that I wasn't exactly in a good place mentally last year, so taking care of another being besides myself definitely challenged me and I wasn't sure whether I could handle it.
Fortunately, after about two months we turned a corner. Paisley started consistently sleeping through the night (which meant so was I finally). Jeff would take care of her in the mornings so I could sleep in a bit. She and I finally got into a groove of our daily routine so I could get some work done. Slowly, things just got easier.
Looking back now, it's hard to believe that was only a year ago. And honestly, I don't even remember what our life was like without her. There are so many things I would have missed out on if we didn't stick with it during the first few tough months with her:
- I'd miss out on my cuddle sessions with her on the couch every night.
- I'd miss out on our daily walks around the neighborhood.
- I'd miss out on her obsession with her favorite toy we have lovingly named the Octopus.
- I'd miss out on her kiss filled greetings every morning after dropping Jeff off at work.
- I'd miss out on her love of blueberries, chicken, and ice cubes.
- I'd miss out on her defending me from the evil thing in the bathroom: the shower door.
- I'd miss out on giving her belly rubs and smothering her with kisses.
- I'd simply miss out.
I'm SO glad we made the decision to keep you Paisley girl. You fill our lives with so much joy and we love you more than I ever thought was possible. Happy anniversary to our little happy family!